Sunday, October 16, 2011

Leadership Connectors - Trust

Without good communication, support, safety, competence, and continuous renewal, it is difficult to establish trust.  All six connectors are vital for an effective leader, yet you can not have one without the other.  How does one learn to build and strengthen all of the leadership connectors?  For me, I work on identifying my weaknesses. I want to take my weaknesses and turn them into my strengths.  For example, my weakness is a lack of knowledge and experience at the elementary level.  How do I expect elementary teachers to trust me when I have little elementary experience?  Beginning over a year ago, I began using personal days to job shadow leaders at the elementary level.  I wrote a curriculum guide for first grade mathematics for the new common core standards.  I taught second grade summer school.  I work for one hour per week with each grade level during PLC time to collaborate, look at data, and discuss ways to use the data to drive instruction.  More importantly, I am honest in what I know and don't know.  I recognize the teachers as experts and work hard to support them in any way possible.  If they have a question that I do not know the answer to, I work to get the answer.  In doing so, I hope that I am building trust. 

3 comments:

  1. No doubt elementary and high school are two different worlds, and you have done an amazing job educating yourself about the elementary world. I believe that recognizing your teachers as professionals helps in establishing that trust. Good job you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing that you have high school experience and elementary school experience. You are certainly rare and will be well sought after! Establishing a open and welcoming environment with teachers will definitely establish trust quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is insightful and your varied experience will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete